It’s finally starting to cool down outside, which is a really big deal for this Floridian. My November is 100% packed with work, events, parties, holidays, appointments, and preparing for Ray’s surgery which is scheduled for December 1st. I’ll be honest, it’s pretty overwhelming. I’m committing to taking things one day at a time and finding moments to enjoy my favorite time of the year. How’s your October/November shaping up?
I know people say this all the time, but marriage comes with challenges. One of the challenges we’ve had to face is Halloween costumes. I love Halloween and love dressing up. I’m ok making multiple costumes for multiple Halloween parties. Ray, on the other hand, does not share my love for Halloween. He doesn’t hate it, but he’s fine just not really wearing a costume. Or worse, going as himself. Another challenge we face is the issue of couples costumes. I ALWAYS want us to dress in couples costumes, but figuring something out that’s awesome for me and easy for him isn’t always easy.
Here are a few of our costumes of the past:
1. Bjork and a dude with a jetpack. – Non-couples costumes.We helped each other with our costumes, even though we weren’t officially a couple. This was a really fun party and after a few drinks I remember people asking us why we were holding hands. Unfortunately, I could not find a photo of Ray’s jetpack… but believe me, it was cool. It had working fans and lights!
2. Pawnee Goddess and Dale Tompkins (our friend/pastor) – Non-couples costume year 2. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any full body photos of us. The main part of my costume was the Pawnee Goddess vest my mom made for me! Ray’s costume included khaki shorts, a bright polo with Church On The Way emblem, name tag, fake glasses, and crocs.
3. Khaki Scout (from Moonrise Kingdom) and Dorothy – Again with the non-couples costumes. I’m so disappointed I didn’t dress up as Suzey as a raven from Moonrise Kingdom. These were last minute costumes we came up with a few hours before a party. Ray’s cute but I just looked pretty boring.
4. Little Mouse, Big Hungry Bear and the Red Ripe Strawberry – Literary costumes. When I worked for the library all employees dressed as characters from books. I choose a character from my favorite children’s book. Ray was a really good sport.
So, those are a few of the Halloween costumes of our past. We’re both getting excited about this year’s costumes!
On October 1st Gilmore Girls became available on netflix streaming which is obviously one of the best things to happen to my recreational tv watching! I watched the series in its entirety as it was airing, but didn’t watch it while it was in syndication, so it’s been a really long time. I’ve enjoyed rediscovering the charm of Stars Hallow, the quirky minor characters, and the cozy feeling the show ensues. A few days ago I posted a status on facebook saying all I want to do is talk about Gilmore Girls, and after some thought I decided to write a blog about it!
A few reasons I think you should watch (or rewatch) Gilmore Girls:
– Luke. Oh, Luke. The one and only man that was consistent through out the series. Luke was always the winner for me. No one compared to Luke. Lorelai, with her poor decision making + bad luck, she sure ends up with some real losers… but there’s always Luke. Why is Lorelai the only one that can’t see that Luke is her soul mate? HE MADE HER A HUPPAH!
– Jess > Logan > Tristan > Dean
Poor Rory, Homegirl just can’t gt it together. Jess was obviously perfect for her, but I can see how it would be weird for Rory to be with Jess AND Lorelai be with Luke. In the beginning I thought Dean was a square but I didn’t hate him until he cheated on his wife with Rory. I just can’t get behind that.
2. Early 2000’s pop cultural references! Look forward to quotes like:
“I lost my Macy Grey CD.”
“Who do you like better, 98 Degrees or N’sync? Or the Backside Boys?”
“Oh wait, I’m getting a page!”
3. 2000’s fashion! This kind of coincides with the pop cultural references. Guys, the fashion in the first few seasons is BANANAS. Lots of high pant/short shirt combos, quirky graphic tees, swirly patterned blouses, rhinestones for days, and school uniforms. In the later seasons Rory steps it up a notch and is full on J. Crew! We’re all very proud.
4. Annoying as hell beginning credits song. The credits begin with cozy fall foliage, snippets of Stars Hallow, sweet moments between Lorelai and Rory, but it’s completely ruined by Carole King’s overpowering voice! Now, it’s not as bad as say the beginning credits of Son’s of Anarchy, but it’s still pretty bad. I hate it. I love it. I love to hate it!
5. Small town quirks. I LOVE small towns, especially the cozy, creative, perfect kind that Stars Hallow seems to be. I can’t think of a better place to live!
So, have you been watching Gilmore Girls? Who’s your favorite character? Are you team Jess or team Dean? Let me know!