Even though I live in Florida I can feel the weather, if only slightly, starting to change. Summer is coming to an end and I think it’s only appropriate to post my end of summer playlist. Some of these songs were played over and over this summer and some of them just remind me of August and September. If you haven’t heard some of these make sure to check them out.
1. Swim Club by The Cave Singers
2. If I Loved You by Delta Rae
3. Shank Hill St by Shovels and Rope
4. Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men
5. Love is Blindness by Jack White
6. 22 by Taylor Swift
7. Trollywood by Eisley
8. Blow it Out by The Features
9. Heart in a Cage by Chris Thile
10. My Father’s Gun by Elton John
Okay guys, lets talk about a garden. So we wrote in the spring about how I was building a raised bed, and we were planting all kinds of heirloom tomatoes, peas, beans, cucumbers etc. I’m not sure if we mentioned this, but we also wanted to try and grow everything as organic as possible.
We are now reaping a few of the benefits of our first garden. So far, we’ve harvested about 50 small cherry tomatoes. All the other tomatoes (and almost everything else) were eaten alive by stinkbugs.
First they attacked our cucumbers, which up until that point were growing beautifully! Huge vines and giant leaves, tons of yellow buds, it was looking like we were gonna have cucumbers for months. Then, I started to notice some yellow and brown spots on the leaves. It took me a few weeks to figure out what was going on, and by that point the bugs had already taken over. They moved their way over to our peas and beans and a few of the tomato plants. Worms keep eating our bigger tomatoes, although our cherry tomatoes do seem to be thriving!
I’ve decided maybe for our fall garden and next years summer garden I’m going to grow some trap crops and then pesticide the mess out of those dirty bugs!
So any ideas on what to do for my fall crops? Or what kind of struggles I’m going to deal with then?
Skunk nails. Yep. These are actually from several months ago.
STORY! A few months ago Ray and I were in Walmart doing some late night shopping in the snack section. We turn the corner and see what I thought was a cat sitting in the basket of a motorized scooter. After closer inspection, we realized it was actually a SKUNK! A skunk, just riding around in Walmart. A few weeks after the first encounter we saw it again. And then again. We’ve seen the skunk 6 or 7 times now and it’s always really exciting and strange.
We found out the skunk’s name is Billy and he’s from a local farm. So, these nails are inspired by Billy, the Walmart skunk.
If you’ve talk to me in the last 2 weeks I’ve probably just gone on and on about Game of Thrones, and for this I’m kind of sorry. I say “kind of” because I’m not sorry for loving Game of Thrones but I am sorry for being so annoying about it. We just finished marathon-watching season 2 and 3 and I can’t say enough good things. HBO is on their game, don’t you think? Here are a few reasons why I love Game of Thrones:
1.Khaleesi’s hair. Or maybe I should say Khaleesi’s wig. Either way, it’s fabulous. She’s absolutely my favorite character.
2. Opening credits. They’re definitely the most creative opening credits on tv right now.
3. No one is safe. Any character, large or small, can be killed off without any warning.
4. Winter is coming. Never forget.
5. The good guys don’t always win. Real life, yo. Joffrey’s the king. Ned is dead. Rob is dead. 340982394 other people are dead.
6. Valar Morghulis. Who even is this guy? Where did he come from? Why is he magic? I don’t know, but I like him.
7. Liking characters in season 3 you hated in season 1. Sansa Stark and Jamie Lannister, anyone?
8. Super strong female characters. Lady-knight Brianne is one of my faves. Also, remember when Khaleesi ate a horse heart? Whew…
9. Dragons, dire wolves, white walkers, three eyed ravens.
10. Arya and the Hound. Since I haven’t read the books, I don’t have any foreknowledge on this subject but something in me believes that the Hound is good and that Arya will end up saving his life or something.
11. The Red Wedding. You guys…
12. House tag lines. We Do Not Sow. Fire and Blood. Ours is the Fury.
Can you tell I’m obsessed!? Why do you love Game of Thrones?