Here are a few of my thoughts while watching Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ video for Downtown. Enjoy!
– Macklemore is so clever and charming. Actually, I’ve heard Ryan Lewis is the mastermind but I still don’t know who he is or how he fits into this situation.
– Whew! Mopeds are never not hilarious.
– The beginning of this video reminds me of the Electric Company. I liked the show, but my true love was always Sesame Street.
– “Honestly, I don’t know nothin’ about mopeds.” *taking a break to text Ray and ask if the motorcycle shop he did IT work for sold mopeds. Good news! They did!*
– “Ooooooh! It’s too real!”
– Is $800 an accurate price for a moped? *texting Ray again. He says it’s closer to $6,000.* That doesn’t seem accurate either…
– 1:20 Oooh! I love this green Evel Knievel suit!!! I’m ALWAYS okay with a man wearing fringe.
– 1:25 I also love the Moosercycle!!!
– 1:37 Homegirl is fabulous in those hoops and that denim shorts jumpsuit. Romper? Idk, I like it. Very early 2000’s J-Lo.
– Baseball player catching a fish.
– Here comes crazy man with a motorcycle chariot.
– Wait. Is that Ryan Lewis?!?!?!?!
– 1:54 THIS IS MY FAVORITE PART OF THE SONG!!!!!
– Moped side cars?! When I see a sidecar I always think of the cooking show Tow Fat Ladies, because their preferred way of travel was by motorcycle and sidecar.
– 2:36 High singer/possible Ryan Lewis gets a fringe coat to match his fringe vest. So much fringe in this video! Also, so many pointy collars.
– Street fight!!!
– 2:53 I can’t decide if piggy back man is funny or scary. He has a villain mustache which is scary, but he has bangs which are funny. His face never moves which can be both scary and funny.
– Is Macklemore a furry?? This is my new #1 concern.
– “I’m on the back street, listening to Blackstreet!!!!!”
– 3:29 Macklemore’s face while riding on the back of that moped is too good!!
– The dance moves are getting a little too “penis centric” for me right now.
– Mystery high singer/possible Ryan Lewis is back! I like his dance moves but I feel he’s at risk of breaking his knees, which would probably be the worst bones to break. I don’t know, he’s probably a professional though.
– 3:38 My seconds favorite part of the song!
– 4:02 I love smiling man in red velour. He’s the baseball player that caught a fish earlier in the video.
– Street party!!! Macklemore and mystery high singer/Ryan Lewis are friends again!
– Hip hop and mopeds bring people together!
I’ve talked a little about my musical journey on here before. Oldies to pop to contemporary Christian to indie to oldies again to… well, you get the picture. Instead of podcasts, I’ve been listening to more music while at work.
Here’s what I’m currently jamming to:
We first saw Shaky Graves a little over a year ago when he was on tour with Shovels and Rope. We were instantly into him.
After Missy Elliott’s surprise performance at the Super Bowel I became re-obsessed with her. Ray is not enjoying this obsession.
Big Brown is forever a work in progress. We moved in with only hand-me-down and thrifted furniture. Don’t get me wrong, we love thrifting and most of our furniture has served us well, but we’re slowly transitioning our house to feel even more like us. And maybe more adult. And maybe less falling apart.
One thing we’ve been wanting to change for a while has been our record player and record shelving situation (see our ridiculous collection here). Since we moved into Big Brown, most of our records have been living in our sunroom on crappy shelves from Ray’s apartment days. We wanted to move our records into the living room to create more space in the sunroom and to motivate us to listen to more of our music library. Ray and I both spent a lot of time researching shelf options. We didn’t want to spend too much, but we wanted a shelf that would look nice and hold the weight of our vinyl. Everyone everywhere recommended the Ikea expedit/kallax units. With that in mind, we went with some of our friends down to Orlando to visit Ikea last weekend. With gift cards in hand, we were prepared to buy 2 2×4 kallax shelving units. We came home with said shelving, a small cart for our bathroom, wall shelves for our sun room, a few light fixtures, and a couple of kitchen odds and ends. Our friends bought a dining room table and chair set, a side table, 2 arm chairs, a foot stool, and a kitchen island. Needless to say, the four of us + all our of stuff barely fit. Tetris to the max.We’re really enjoying our new record situation. The kallax shelves are perfect for our collection and add extra surface space for our record player, playstation, and speaker setup. We definitely recommend them! So, what do you guys think?
We are currently OBSESSED with the band Shovels and Rope. My friend Kayla mentioned them several times over various social media sites, and because I know she has great taste, I decided to check them out. Shovels and Rope is made up of a married couple from South Carolina. Their debut album is called O’ Be Joyful and I think you should definitely check it out.
Guys, they’re so good!! Ray describes them as delta-folk-country-rock, and I think it’s pretty accurate.