On October 1st Gilmore Girls became available on netflix streaming which is obviously one of the best things to happen to my recreational tv watching! I watched the series in its entirety as it was airing, but didn’t watch it while it was in syndication, so it’s been a really long time. I’ve enjoyed rediscovering the charm of Stars Hallow, the quirky minor characters, and the cozy feeling the show ensues. A few days ago I posted a status on facebook saying all I want to do is talk about Gilmore Girls, and after some thought I decided to write a blog about it!
A few reasons I think you should watch (or rewatch) Gilmore Girls:
– Luke. Oh, Luke. The one and only man that was consistent through out the series. Luke was always the winner for me. No one compared to Luke. Lorelai, with her poor decision making + bad luck, she sure ends up with some real losers… but there’s always Luke. Why is Lorelai the only one that can’t see that Luke is her soul mate? HE MADE HER A HUPPAH!
– Jess > Logan > Tristan > Dean
Poor Rory, Homegirl just can’t gt it together. Jess was obviously perfect for her, but I can see how it would be weird for Rory to be with Jess AND Lorelai be with Luke. In the beginning I thought Dean was a square but I didn’t hate him until he cheated on his wife with Rory. I just can’t get behind that.
2. Early 2000’s pop cultural references! Look forward to quotes like:
“I lost my Macy Grey CD.”
“Who do you like better, 98 Degrees or N’sync? Or the Backside Boys?”
“Oh wait, I’m getting a page!”
3. 2000’s fashion! This kind of coincides with the pop cultural references. Guys, the fashion in the first few seasons is BANANAS. Lots of high pant/short shirt combos, quirky graphic tees, swirly patterned blouses, rhinestones for days, and school uniforms. In the later seasons Rory steps it up a notch and is full on J. Crew! We’re all very proud.
4. Annoying as hell beginning credits song. The credits begin with cozy fall foliage, snippets of Stars Hallow, sweet moments between Lorelai and Rory, but it’s completely ruined by Carole King’s overpowering voice! Now, it’s not as bad as say the beginning credits of Son’s of Anarchy, but it’s still pretty bad. I hate it. I love it. I love to hate it!
5. Small town quirks. I LOVE small towns, especially the cozy, creative, perfect kind that Stars Hallow seems to be. I can’t think of a better place to live!
So, have you been watching Gilmore Girls? Who’s your favorite character? Are you team Jess or team Dean? Let me know!