Everyone knows that I love Halloween and agonize over picking out a costume. I like to spend a few weeks before the 31st planning, shopping, and most of the time even making my own costume. But lets be real, many of these were last minute situations. Most of my costumes are relatively easy and cheap to recreate. So in honor of my (and everyone’s) favorite Autumn holiday, I thought I’d do a roundup of mine and Ray’s 10 best Halloween costumes throughout the years.
1. Pizza + Delivery Boy (2014)
I loved this costume combo! 2. Willy Roberts from Duck Dynasty + a Duck (2013)
Quite possibly one of my worst pictures ever. This was at the height of the show, and Ray was getting asked almost daily if he grew his beard out because of Duck Dynasty (he didn’t).
3. Little Mouse, Big Hungry Bear, and the Red Ripe Strawberry (2013)
I worked at a library at the time and the staff all dressed in literary costumes.
4. Khaki Scout from Moonrise Kingdom (2012)5. Pawnee Goddess + Pastor Dale (2011)
I loved this costume! I had just started getting into Parks and Rec and was quickly turning into a super fan. My mom made this vest for me, but unfortunately I couldn’t find a photo that really showed it off. I made most of the “badges” out of paper and used star patches. 6. Bjork as a Swan (2010)
I had the forethought to rent a crinoline skirt and purchase white boas, but I was sewing that swan head together an hour before the paper.
Also, Black Swan7. Kindergarten Indian (2008)
For adult Indian vests, I suggest finding a large paper to-go bag from a restaurant. Mine was from Cracker Barrel. I painted the vest with regular acrylic paint.
8. Scientist + Robot (2007?)
On the real, my costume was pretty lame and last minute. My friend MeLissa’s costume though… that was on point!Here’s another one from the same party… 9. Glenda the Good Witch (1989?)10. Ballerina (1989ish) and Devil (1987ish)
Check out that wallpaper!
More fun stuff:
– Here is my sister dressed as Sherry Lewis. One of my favorite last minute costumes ever!– Here is another great costume of Bries! A foreign exchange student super excited about being in America (seen with Fidel Castro). – I’m not sure if there’s a photo of this, but one year I dressed up as the earth. I wore brown boots for dirt, green pants for grass, a blue sweatshirt with felt clouds for the sky, and a rainbow ribbon headband. Whew!
– One year Ray dressed as the invisible man. He wore a suit and wrapped his face in an ace bandage. I know there is a photo floating around the internet of it somewhere…
– Here is a photo of photo my dad took on his iphone for me. So, probably the best quality you’ve ever seen. This is me in a poodle skirt and Brie dressed as a sunflower. Also, photo evidence of Brie wearing tennis shoes. – I have a really good idea for us this year, but no one is actually having a party on Halloween and we’ll be out of town the weekend prior. SOMEONE HAVE A PARTY ON THE 31ST!!!!!
Ray and I dressed as a pizza and pizza delivery boy for a Halloween party last weekend! It was a perfect couples costume for us because I got to have a fun homemade costume and Ray got to have an easy costume. We even won a costume contest!
I know people say this all the time, but marriage comes with challenges. One of the challenges we’ve had to face is Halloween costumes. I love Halloween and love dressing up. I’m ok making multiple costumes for multiple Halloween parties. Ray, on the other hand, does not share my love for Halloween. He doesn’t hate it, but he’s fine just not really wearing a costume. Or worse, going as himself. Another challenge we face is the issue of couples costumes. I ALWAYS want us to dress in couples costumes, but figuring something out that’s awesome for me and easy for him isn’t always easy.
Here are a few of our costumes of the past:
1. Bjork and a dude with a jetpack. – Non-couples costumes.We helped each other with our costumes, even though we weren’t officially a couple. This was a really fun party and after a few drinks I remember people asking us why we were holding hands. 🙂 Unfortunately, I could not find a photo of Ray’s jetpack… but believe me, it was cool. It had working fans and lights!
2. Pawnee Goddess and Dale Tompkins (our friend/pastor) – Non-couples costume year 2. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any full body photos of us. The main part of my costume was the Pawnee Goddess vest my mom made for me! Ray’s costume included khaki shorts, a bright polo with Church On The Way emblem, name tag, fake glasses, and crocs.
3. Khaki Scout (from Moonrise Kingdom) and Dorothy – Again with the non-couples costumes. I’m so disappointed I didn’t dress up as Suzey as a raven from Moonrise Kingdom. These were last minute costumes we came up with a few hours before a party. Ray’s cute but I just looked pretty boring.
4. Little Mouse, Big Hungry Bear and the Red Ripe Strawberry – Literary costumes. When I worked for the library all employees dressed as characters from books. I choose a character from my favorite children’s book. Ray was a really good sport.
5. Duck Dynasty and a duck. Again, super easy and last minute. At that time Ray was being told on the reg that he looked like a Duck Dynasty brother so we thought it was fitting.
So, those are a few of the Halloween costumes of our past. We’re both getting excited about this year’s costumes! 😉
All of our pictures of the awesome Megacon cos-players wouldn’t fit in one post. So, we decided to make another one! Aren’t these costumes so incredible?!Quail Man!! Or… I guess, Quail Lady!Dark Elf!Bros.and then there was this monster…
Ok, this post might be slightly out of character for me, but just trust me for a moment. Before I contradict everything I want you to know I’ve only read 2 comic books in my life and one was about True Blood, so I don’t even think it counts. I’ve only recently started watching shows and movies in the sci-fi genera (hello Firefly and Battle Star Galactica!!) and I never ever played any video games. Ever. I wont even bowl on the wii. Despite these facts, I REALLY want to go to Dragon Con (or comicon or comic palooza or whatever). I mean, where else can a Sith Lord, Mario, a sexy elf and steampunk batman hang out and have lunch? Ray found this video last night and now it’s my new favorite! I know it’s long, but there are sooooo many incredible costumes. Enjoy!