Here’s what I’ve been loving in July and the first part of August! 1. Revisionist History Podcast by Malcolm Gladwell. Malcolm Gladwell is one of my favorite authors and his new podcast is a great way to experience his expertise without having to wait for his next book! 2. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling. This is an obvious choice, especially if you know me. I’ve been a fan of the Harry Potter franchise since I read the first 3 books in 8th grade. In 2007 I was working at a Christian summer camp in Clinton, Mississippi. A small group of us went to Walmart at midnight to pick up Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It felt slightly rebellious, 1. because half of our staff was still religiously opposed to HP and 2. we probably weren’t supposed to be sneaking off to Walmart at midnight. 9 years later, we have a continuation!! It’s wonderfully magical and I suggest everyone pick up a copy as soon as possible.3. Ray’s Hedwig Costume. We attended a Harry Potter themed costume party on July 30th (Harry’s birthday) hosted by our good friends, Nathan and Kristi. Since I’m a true Slytherin, I went as a teenaged Bellatrix. For Ray, I made paper wigs and a beak to transform him into Hedwig. It took several hours, but I think the results turned out pretty good! (If I do say so myself, ha!) Look how cute he is!! 4. Peaches. It’s the height of peaches season and I’m taking full advantage of it. Living so close to Georgia and the Carolina’s ensures I will also be able to indulge in the sweetest, juiciest peaches in the states.5. Artist, Tasha Boucher. I found Tasha on Instagram and instantly fell in love with her style and aesthetic. Quirky illustrations get me every time! 6. Game of Thrones Season 5 & 6. GoT is one of the best shows of it’s time, but it feels like such a commitment to start a season, or in our case 2 seasons. Honestly though, these last 2 seasons were so wonderful I wish we hadn’t waited! Ray and I both really enjoyed GoT seasons 5 & 6!7. Stranger Things. Stranger Things is a new Netflix original sci-fi series. If you haven’t heard much about it, don’t worry because you will soon! Stranger Things has received so much buzz and it’s only been out for a few weeks! The show takes place in the 80’s in Indiana and channels all our favorite 1980’s pop culture, a la E.T., The Goonies, ham radios, Dungeons & Dragons, etc. It’s awesome and you should watch it!
7. Poison and Wine by The Civil Wars. I’m the type of annoying person who absolutely listens to the same song 3214908 times in a row. Lately I’ve been really into Poison and Wine (and listening to it 3214908 times in a row), which is literally one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard. I missed the Civil Wars hype a few years ago, but I’m really happy to be enjoying them now.
Without further ado, my February 2016 favorites! Lavender and Mint Conditioner by Young Living – Mint scented hair products are always a favorite, and this one sure doesn’t disappoint! This conditioner makes my hair so soft and doesn’t have any weird scary chemicals!Big Shampoo by Lush – It’s been almost a year since I’ve bought Big and I’ve missed it!!! This shampoo gives my fine limp hair such nice volume! It also smells like a spa! Pineapples – In December Ray and I attended a Christmas party with a chocolate dipped fruit platter. Our surprise favorite was the white chocolate dipped pineapple. I decided to recreate them for our Valentine’s Day brunch. Since then I’ve been obsessed with pineapple. I’ve been buying 2 whole pineapples a week and I’ve still been running out! Strawberries – Strawberries are so good right now (at least here in Florida) and I can’t get enough! Banana Bread – Sunday evenings have become my time to bake. Every Sunday evening Ray records and edits his podcast (check it out here) and I do laundry, bake, and paint my nails. Lately I’ve been really into baking banana bread. It’s easy, delicious, and provides me with breakfast for the following week. My favorite way to eat it is to add a little butter and then toast it until the outside is a bit crispy. Upgraded Eagle Lamps – Many moons ago, when Ray and I were just friends and not even dating, we were browsing a local antique mall when Ray spotted 2 eagle lamps he had to have. They lived in Ray’s apartment, and then our living room. While we both liked their shape and uniqueness, they were looking a little shabby. 10 years later, the eagle lamps got a nice upgrade! A few weeks ago we spray painted them rose gold, fixed a wiring issue on one, and added new shades! Rose Gold Spray Paint- That brings me to my next favorite, Rose Gold Spray Paint. I want to paint everything in our house rose gold! So far, the eagle lamps and a large planter have been the only spray paint victims.marshmallow earbuds – Hi, my name is Allison and I have really small ear holes. Ear buds are absolutely essential to my everyday life. While I’m at work I’m always listening to podcasts, music, webinars, youtube videos, ect. For years I have struggled with painful too-big ear buds- the original iphone ear buds are the absolute worst. For Christmas, Ray spent some time researching and bought me a pair of Marshmallows. They’re comfortable in my ears and don’t fall out! I love them! If your ear holes (?) are on the smaller side, check these out!
House of Cards – We are still loving House of Cards! We’re currently in the middle of season 3, and we can’t wait to start season 4! (which premired on Netflix last week) #FU2016
Snapchat – I’ve been a long time lurker, mostly just watching the snapchats from bloggers and youtubers I like… but now I snapchat too! So, if you want to, like, watch me talk to Black Cat or cook risotto- add me! allisondhancock
December was a strange and busy month for us. You probably noticed a lack in posting, and it was absolutely due to the busy-ness of the season. I keep a running list on my phone of my monthly favorites so I don’t forget anything. When I went back to check December it was super short and a little lack luster. I’m sure this was a result of a busy, event-filled month. I thought about not posting, but then remembered that favorites posts are some of my favorite to read… even when they’re short and lack luster. So, I decided to post! Here are my December 2015 favorites: -Pink lady apples – For the past several years I’ve been strictly a gala apple girl. I’ve had allergic reactions to other variety of apples, but gala always did me well. In November I tried pink lady apples to see if I could eat them. Not only did they not cause an allergic reaction, I discovered they were DELICIOUS!!
– Pink and blue scarf from Old Navy. Keeping me warm and cute all at the same time.
-Christmas cacti – At the beginning of the month my company threw a client Christmas party. As party favors, I ordered beautiful Christmas cacti from a local nursery – Nobels Greenhouse and Nursery from Live Oak, FL. Our clients loved them and I was able to take a few of the leftovers home! They’re so beautiful!
– Coffee Coolers from Ellianos – These are in no way healthy for you… but they sure are delicious! December had a lot of late nights, early mornings, and long works days so I made many visits to Ellianos!
– Santa Cat- No explanation needed.
-Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Anything I want to say about the Force Awakens has already been said. It was so so so good. Even if you’re not really into Star Wars you should see it. Best movie of the year!
-Heck Ya the Halls – I’m not a huge Christmas music fan, but this album is wonderful! Their versions of We Wish You a Merry Christmas and Auld Lang Syne are some of the best I’ve heard! The album is available for listening on Spotify or you can download it from Noisetrade.
– Making a Murderer- Making a Murderer is a documentary series that debuted on Netflix in December. It follows Steven Avery, a man who was imprisoned for sexual assault and attempted murder, who was later proved innocent and released from prison, only to a few years later be accused of the rape and murder of another woman. There is a lot of shady police work, forced confessions, planted evidence, etc.
What did you love during December? What are you loving now?
– Sage Berry Candle Company – Sage Berry is local-ish (located in Ocala, FL) candle shop. I came across their booth several years ago at a craft fair and instantly fell in love. Their candles and wax tarts are 100% soy and are hand poured. My favorite scent (shown above) is called Cabin Hearth.
– Hot Cinnamon Sunset Tea by Harney & Sons – First, I would like to state that generally I’m not a tea person. Second, I would like the state that I freakin love this tea. We stayed at an Air B&B at the beginning of the month and this tea was just waiting for me on the counter. I tried it and had to buy my own once we got home.
– All Dressed Chips – Have you heard of these? Apparently they are all the rage in Canada, but the US is just now getting a taste, thank’s to Ruffles. All Dressed chips are amazing. They’re like a mixture of Salt + Vinegar and Barbecue. They’re only available for a limited time, so grab them if you see them! I’m obsessed!
– Thyme Oil – Honestly, this is more of a favorite for Ray than for me. He’s been using thyme oil to help him sleep and it’s really been working! He’s been sleeping more sound and waking up less at night!
– Banana Republic Scarf – I’m loving this festive scarf! I wanted a warm, but not swelteringly hot scarf for this winter season. I couldn’t find this particular scarf on their website, but I bought it in October so it might still be available in stores.
– Jessica Jones – Guys, if you’re not watching Jessica Jones on Neflix right now, you’re really missing out! It’s so good and Kristen Ritter is incredible. I loved her in comedic roles (Don’t Trust the B in Apt. 23, anyone?) but she really shined in this dark and more serious series.
– Why Not Me by Mindy Kaling – I came home last week to find that Ray ordered the newest book by Mindy Kaling for me! I read her first book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, this summer. She’s hilarious and even though I’m only three quarters of the way through Why Not Me, I highly recommend both of her books.
– Snake Plant – Three weeks ago Ray, Brie, and I traveled to Live Oak to participate in Flea Across Florida, which is essentially a really big yard sale across the state of Florida. We made one stop, picked up a snake plant and a pocket knife, and then it promptly started pouring. We had a snake plant in the past, but Black Cat was forever trying to eat it. So far he’s left this one alone.– New Shoes – Guys, check out my new (but slightly used because I bought them off ebay) Tory Burch Revas! I love them and I love that I didn’t have to pay $230 for them! – Trader Joe’s cold brew coffee concentrate – I’m forever on the hunt for the perfect at-home iced coffee. This is mostly because I don’t have the funds or time to frequent a coffee shop every morning but I NEED the coffee. The Trader Joe’s concentrate is perfect for my current morning routine because all I have to do is pour some over ice, add a little milk or water, and pour in some creamer. Which brings me to my next favorite…
-Star Wars Coffee Creamer – On the real, there is no difference in taste or flavor. However, I love the design and Star Wars appreciation happening here.– Thieves cleaner – I love this natural all purpose cleaner made with thieves oil. Not only does it smell like Christmas, I can clean and sanitize every surface in my house with just one cleaner. – Gossip Girl – This is no surprise to anyone to who reads this blog, follows me on twitter, is my friend on facebook, or talks to me in real life. It’s all I’ve been talking about for weeks! In fact, Gossip Girl was in my favorites last month as well! I finished the series this month and couldn’t be more obsessed. I’m not sure why I didn’t watch the series earlier, as I read a lot of the Gossip Girl books in middle school and high school. #chuckandblairforever