We started watching Twin Peaks this summer. Ray had previously watched the first season but it was completely new to me. Twin Peaks premiered in 1990 and despite it’s following, it was cancelled after only 2 seasons. It’s currently available on Netflix and I highly suggest you watch it! Here are a few reasons why:
1. Special Agent Dale Cooper. Before watching Twin Peaks I was not a fan of Kyle Maclachlan because the only role I really knew him from was Charlotte’s husband in Sex and the City. If you’ve seen Sex and the City you know he isn’t the nicest character and if you know me, you know I relate most with Charlotte because we both have brown hair. All that to say, I’m glad his role in Sex and the City didn’t taint him forever in my brain because his role as Special Agent Dale Cooper is amazing. SADC is smart, intuitive, quirky, lovable and a sugar addict. I love how he loves the town and people of Twin Peaks.
2. Twin Peaks is wonderful and strange. So very strange.
3. Twin Peaks is edgy and tame at the same time. To say Twin Peaks is edgy seems odd because we can turn on the tv anytime of the day and see zombies eating people or gratuitous sex scenes. Twin Peaks has an edgy story with edgy characters, something we DON’T always see in current tv.
4. Hour long episodes. While the show was cancelled after 2 seasons, the episodes are an hour, thus making it easier to prolong the Twin Peaks experience.
5. The wardrobes. Bolo ties, giant sweaters, classic suits, saddle shoes, diner uniforms, red lipstick, eye patches.
6. Rich minor characters. Even the most minor characters exhibit rich personalities. My favorite, of course, being the Log Lady.
7. This absolutely terrifying scene.
8. David Duchovny as a woman. No explanation needed.
9. Quotable and so many catch phrases!
– Fire Walk With Me
– “The owls aren’t what they seem.”
– “Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don’t plan it. Don’t wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men’s store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.”
10. Musical Scores. I’ll be honest, at first the music bothered me. It’s strange, a little slow and from 1990. As I kept watching the show I think the score started to become an additional character. Another odd and quirky character that I came to love.
Give this show a try! I can guarantee you’ve never seen anything like it!