About a year ago my friend Kim shared a DIY room spray recipe with me using essential oils. It was an awesome recipe and smelled amazing, but I honestly just never use room spray. A few weeks after I made the room spray, I saw it on my bedside table, mostly unused, and decided to spritz it on myself rather than in the air. I don’t remember why I decided to do this… maybe I wasn’t feeling fresh? Who knows?!?! But guys, it was awesome! Who knew making your own room-spray-turned-body-spray, void of weird chemicals, could be so easy!? I use this DIY body spray everyday and it literally takes less than 2 minutes to make!
Here’s what you need:
– glass spray bottle
– essential oils of your scent preference (more on that in a minute)
– witch hazel
– water Drop 15-20 drops of essential oil into your spray bottle. Fill the rest of the bottle half way with unscented witch hazel and the rest with water. Soooooo easy, right?
You can create numerous different sent combinations using essential oils! The best and most difficult part of this DIY is choosing your scents!
Here are a few of my favorite scent combos:
Lime & Peppermint (for mojito vibes) Cedarwood & Tangerine Lemon & Lavender When choosing your oils, always avoid your eyes and be aware that some essential oils are considered “hot”. A few “hot” essential oils to avoid in this recipe since they will be spritz onto skin (but great for other diy projects or recipes): cinnamon bark, clove, oregano, thyme.
I like that these are natural and void of any weird chemicals! Also, they all smell really good and last forever!
Without further ado, my February 2016 favorites!
Lavender and Mint Conditioner by Young Living – Mint scented hair products are always a favorite, and this one sure doesn’t disappoint! This conditioner makes my hair so soft and doesn’t have any weird scary chemicals! Big Shampoo by Lush – It’s been almost a year since I’ve bought Big and I’ve missed it!!! This shampoo gives my fine limp hair such nice volume! It also smells like a spa!
Pineapples – In December Ray and I attended a Christmas party with a chocolate dipped fruit platter. Our surprise favorite was the white chocolate dipped pineapple. I decided to recreate them for our Valentine’s Day brunch. Since then I’ve been obsessed with pineapple. I’ve been buying 2 whole pineapples a week and I’ve still been running out!
Strawberries – Strawberries are so good right now (at least here in Florida) and I can’t get enough!
Banana Bread – Sunday evenings have become my time to bake. Every Sunday evening Ray records and edits his podcast (check it out here) and I do laundry, bake, and paint my nails. Lately I’ve been really into baking banana bread. It’s easy, delicious, and provides me with breakfast for the following week. My favorite way to eat it is to add a little butter and then toast it until the outside is a bit crispy.
Upgraded Eagle Lamps – Many moons ago, when Ray and I were just friends and not even dating, we were browsing a local antique mall when Ray spotted 2 eagle lamps he had to have. They lived in Ray’s apartment, and then our living room. While we both liked their shape and uniqueness, they were looking a little shabby. 10 years later, the eagle lamps got a nice upgrade! A few weeks ago we spray painted them rose gold, fixed a wiring issue on one, and added new shades!
Rose Gold Spray Paint- That brings me to my next favorite, Rose Gold Spray Paint. I want to paint everything in our house rose gold! So far, the eagle lamps and a large planter have been the only spray paint victims. marshmallow earbuds – Hi, my name is Allison and I have really small ear holes. Ear buds are absolutely essential to my everyday life. While I’m at work I’m always listening to podcasts, music, webinars, youtube videos, ect. For years I have struggled with painful too-big ear buds- the original iphone ear buds are the absolute worst. For Christmas, Ray spent some time researching and bought me a pair of Marshmallows. They’re comfortable in my ears and don’t fall out! I love them! If your ear holes (?) are on the smaller side, check these out!
House of Cards – We are still loving House of Cards! We’re currently in the middle of season 3, and we can’t wait to start season 4! (which premired on Netflix last week) #FU2016
Snapchat – I’ve been a long time lurker, mostly just watching the snapchats from bloggers and youtubers I like… but now I snapchat too! So, if you want to, like, watch me talk to Black Cat or cook risotto- add me! allisondhancock
A childhood birthday party staple in my life was puppy chow. It’s also sometimes referred to as muddie buddies. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s Chex cereal coated with chocolate and peanut butter, and covered with powdered sugar. It’s 100% unhealthy and 100% delicious.
Last week I made an adult version of puppy chow. Don’t worry, it’s still 100% delicious (and unhealthy). I was invited to a Young Living Essential Oil class and wanted to bring a dessert that incorporated one of the oils. I chose lemon because I knew I would have leftovers and Ray LOVES lemon flavored desserts.Here’s what I used:
9 C Rice Chex cereal
1 1/2 C white chocolate chips (on the real, you could also use almond bark and I think the consistency would be nicer and easier to work with)
1/4 C butter
8 drops Young Living lemon essential oil (you could also use lemon extract)
2 C powdered sugar
3 C Golden Grahams
Melt white chocolate and butter together and add to a large bowl. Squeeze juice from lemon and add to melted chocolate. Add lemon essential oil to melted chocolate. Add Chex to chocolate mixture and coat all the cereal. Transfer cereal to large ziplock bags and add powdered sugar. Shake bags until cereal is completely coated with sugar. Place cereal bags in the refrigerator to cool. When you’re ready to serve pour cereal in a glass bowl and stir in Golden Grahams!
Pro tip – DO NOT USE GENERIC CHEX. Twice I’ve made chex treats and made the mistake of buying generic chex. They just don’t hold up the way the original does.
These are are super delicious! They wont disappoint!
– Why Not Me by Mindy Kaling – I came home last week to find that Ray ordered the newest book by Mindy Kaling for me! I read her first book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, this summer. She’s hilarious and even though I’m only three quarters of the way through Why Not Me, I highly recommend both of her books.
– Snake Plant – Three weeks ago Ray, Brie, and I traveled to Live Oak to participate in Flea Across Florida, which is essentially a really big yard sale across the state of Florida. We made one stop, picked up a snake plant and a pocket knife, and then it promptly started pouring. We had a snake plant in the past, but Black Cat was forever trying to eat it. So far he’s left this one alone.– New Shoes – Guys, check out my new (but slightly used because I bought them off ebay) Tory Burch Revas! I love them and I love that I didn’t have to pay $230 for them!
– Trader Joe’s cold brew coffee concentrate – I’m forever on the hunt for the perfect at-home iced coffee. This is mostly because I don’t have the funds or time to frequent a coffee shop every morning but I NEED the coffee. The Trader Joe’s concentrate is perfect for my current morning routine because all I have to do is pour some over ice, add a little milk or water, and pour in some creamer. Which brings me to my next favorite…
-Star Wars Coffee Creamer – On the real, there is no difference in taste or flavor. However, I love the design and Star Wars appreciation happening here.– Thieves cleaner – I love this natural all purpose cleaner made with thieves oil. Not only does it smell like Christmas, I can clean and sanitize every surface in my house with just one cleaner.
– Gossip Girl – This is no surprise to anyone to who reads this blog, follows me on twitter, is my friend on facebook, or talks to me in real life. It’s all I’ve been talking about for weeks! In fact, Gossip Girl was in my favorites last month as well! I finished the series this month and couldn’t be more obsessed. I’m not sure why I didn’t watch the series earlier, as I read a lot of the Gossip Girl books in middle school and high school. #chuckandblairforever
What were your favorites in September?